With the ink still drying on his latest bill to enhance retirement security, long-time retirement champion Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH) has been confirmed as keynote speaker at the 2019 NAPA D.C. Fly-In Forum, July 23–24.
Portman has authored several federal laws to increase retirement savings, including this week's Retirement Security & Savings Act (S.1431), cosponsored by his long-time retirement security collaborator Sen. Ben Cardin (D-MD). That bipartisan bill mirrors legislation that Portman and Cardin introduced last December.
The new legislation includes a broad set of reforms and contains more than 50 provisions designed to strengthen Americans’ retirement security by addressing four major opportunities in the existing retirement system:
- allowing people who have saved too little to set more aside for their retirement;
- helping small businesses offer 401(k)s and other retirement plans;
- expanding access to retirement savings plans for low-income Americans without coverage; and
- providing more certainty and flexibility during Americans’ retirement years.
Elected to the U.S. Senate in 2010, he also served in the House of Representatives from 1993 to 2005. As a congressman, he and then-Rep. Ben Cardin led the charge in the House for the Economic Growth Tax Relief and Reconciliation Act on 2001 (EGTRRA), which set higher contribution limits, simplified discrimination tests, created the Savers’ Credit, and provided incentives for small-business retirement programs – remedying much of the damage done to retirement plan savings by the Tax Reform Act of 1986.
Portman is a member of the Senate Finance Committee, the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, and the Committee on Foreign Relations.
Join Sen. Portman and your fellow top NAPA advisors at the 2019 NAPA D.C. Fly-In Forum. Delegate-applicants for this exclusive event must:
- hold a NAPA membership in good standing;
- manage at least $100M in plan assets;
- provide service to at least 10 retirement plans, representing a total of at least 2,000 participants; and
- have at least 5 years of experience in the employer-based retirement plan industry.
Find out more – and apply as a delegate to the NAPA DC Fly-In Forum today at http://napadcflyin.org/.